Current Articles of Interest

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Opinion: Fr. Markey on 'Communion on the Hand'


I believe that until we regain our reverence for the blessed Eucharist, it's going to be difficult, at best, our country's conversion through the blessing of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.


We need to be reminded of (CCC 1324): The Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life." "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch.  

And the sentence in (CCC 1331) that states: Holy Communion, because by this sacrament we unite ourselves to Christ, who makes us sharers in his Body and Blood to form a single body".  

In addition also read the Gospel of  St. John (6: 51-58): "I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh." The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."


Then there would be such reverence for the Eucharist that articles, such as the one below, would not be be necessary.


 
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
I encourage parishioners to give prayerful consideration to following Pope Benedict XVI’s lead by receiving Holy Communion on the tongue in the New Year.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Catholic Online) - The beginning of each year is often a time of “New Year Resolutions”, and a wonderful resolution for 2009 would be to start exercising the option of receiving Holy Communion on the tongue in Mass. Let me explain why.  Full story at Catholic Online

No comments:

Post a Comment